Friday, August 15, 2008

Puttin' this Learnin' 2 Use

This week I assumed my position as a Sr. Communications Associate at IQ Solutions. IQ is a communications firm that specializes in health issues. I’ve been seeking the ideal professional environment for myself for two years now, and I can proudly say that I have finally found it. It may sound premature for me to come to such a conclusion, but when you know what’s right for you - you know.

IQ’s mission is to improve quality of life. What’s refreshing is that they don’t just talk it, they walk it. The firm believes strongly in work/life balance, offering flex schedules and telecommuting, encouraging the use of leave time and relieving employees from pressure to put in long hours. Other perks include tuition reimbursement, gym membership, on-site yoga during the work day and breakfast treats twice a week. I knew something was special about this firm when I visited their website in preparation for my interview and read that an employee gave their co-worker a kidney!

Having worked in largely autonomous roles for the past two years, I was eager to get back into a team environment. I suspect that I would have to conjure up some of what I learned about team dynamics from our management class as I get to know and interact with my colleagues.

Within my first week, more concepts from my graduate program surfaced than they had in months with other employers. We’ve discussed serving our client by employing six sigma efficiency theories and online marketing strategies - and I’m sure that’s just the tip of the iceberg of implementing the concepts that I’ve learned over the course of the past 11 months. Who knows, maybe I’ll even find someone who has read any of the three communications related books that I’ve read and had to write book reviews for so that I could exercise some of that cocktail party knowledge that we’ve been working on. ;-)

So, if anyone’s interested in coming to work at IQ, please tell them you were referred by me, cause I could certainly use the referral bonus.

Cohort 17: Only four more classes to go!! In the words of Steve Covey, “keep the end in mind!”

Signing off of PR Passion indefinitely,

Tiffany

Peace.

No comments: